Items that are to remain in the house should be labeled so there is no chance of loading them by mistake. If you plane to take some items with you, have them packed and loaded in the car or in a spare room or closet. Make sure to indicate that the items are not to be moved. Be sure all important documents for travel, closings, etc. are in your possession.
Light articles may remain in the drawers. If there are breakables items in the drawers, place them on top of the dresser so they can be packed properly. Screws and bolts should be placed in small baggies and taped inside a drawer. Lock file cabinets and keep the keys with you.
Clothing in Closets:
Leave clothing on hangers in the closet if they are to be packed in wardrobes provided by your mover. If some items in the closet are not to be packed make sure to place them in an area separate from the others or place them outside of the closet.
Items on walls:
For pictures and mirrors on the wall, leave them hanging and they will be packed. You will need to take down anything attached to the wall by screws, bolts, or nails driven into the wall. i.e., shelving units, plant hangers, drapes, curtains etc.
All perishables and liquids need to be removed before the packers arrive. Leave all other items in the cabinets and the packers will pack them.
The mover cannot take them.
The mover suggests all valuables, remote controls, irreplaceable photos and any high value items should be taken by you.
Please unplug your refrigerator and freezer at least 24 hours before moving day. Leave the door open to dry out. Once dry, poor approx 1 cup of unused fresh coffee grounds in a sock, tie a knot in it and place one in the frig compartment and one in the freezer. This will absorb unwanted odors.
Items Not Safe:
We cannot take the following on the van for safety reasons:
- Motor Oil
- Paint lacquer
- Cooking Oils
- Nail Polish and Remover
- Liquid Bleach
- Label all boxes as follows: name, room, contents.
- Drain all fluids from lawn equipment, dispose of all chemicals such as oil antifreeze, gasoline etc.
- Use strong clean boxes and packing tape
- Place heavier items on bottom and lighter items as you work your way up the box.
- Plenty of padding crumple paper for cushioning on the bottom and throughout the carton.
- Pack dishes on their edge and drinking glasses upside down. The strongest point is the edge.
- When possible use original cartons for electronics.Use clean white packing paper or sheets for lamp shades to avoid printing from rubbing off onto the shade
You’ll need a few items immediately when you arrive at your new home. We suggest some of the following:
- Paper Towels
- Dish cloths
- Paper plates, cups, napkins
- Cooking utensils
- Plastic forks, knives, spoons
- Small canned goods and can opener
- Sandwich items
- Toilet tissue
- Facial tissue
- Towels and wash cloths
- Light bulbs
- Screwdriver, flat head and Phillips
- Nails, screws
- Trash bags
- Flashlight and batteries
- Reading material
- Games to keep everyone occupied